Master of Arts (MA)
The 14-month Master’s programme in International Leisure and Tourism Studies focuses on sustainability and quality of life within the context of the past, present and future. You will explore established theories relating to leisure and tourism (past), discuss current cases (present) and use scenario planning as a tool for identifying future trends and developments (future). The courses contains different education methods such as seminars, workshops, lectures, presentations, group assignments and guest lectures.
Master of Science (MSc)
Stenden offers the option to accomplish a Dual Degree. Additionally to the MA programme you can enrol for a Master of Science International Leisure and Tourism Studies issued by the University of Derby, which is a leading university in the UK for Hospitality, Tourism, and Events Management.
What to expect?
- Lecturers from the University of Derby will regularly be visiting Stenden University of Applied Sciences (NL) to conduct lectures and seminars with Masters students in preparation for the field trip.
- Two-week field trip to the University of Derby (UK) - students will be able to visit the UK and participate in an intensive two-week workshop schedule at the University of Derby. Lectures will be conducted using a variety of classroom based activities as well as venturing into the heart of the Peak District National Park to build operational skills such as communications and teamwork. Accommodation has been arranged for all students to stay within the University campus’s Halls of Residence. The costs of transportation (Manchester – Buxton), accommodation, and lunch for this excursion are included in the tuition fee.
- You have access to resources at the University of Derby, including library services for academic studies, and the industrial placement office, which can help to advise and direct students to prospective future placements and employers around the world.
As part of your studies, you will take three modules that prepare you for the process of writing your final-year thesis. You will learn how to develop a research proposal and how to collect and analyse data.
- Module 1
Theoretical Perspectives on Leisure and Tourism
You will discuss current theories related to leisure and tourism, based on topics such as games, experience, culture, social class, lifestyle, mobility, the environment, development and economic systems. The objective of the course is to develop your own perspective on leisure and tourism.
- Module 2
Quality of Leisure and Tourism
This module examines quality in all its facets: you investigate the quality of recreation and tourism in relation to the quality of human life in general. You will learn to make connections between society and organisations using multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary methods. If you have opted for the Master of Science programme, it will start in this module.
- Module 3
Policy and Planning & the future of Leisure and Tourism
This module focuses on the complex and dynamic nature of policymaking in the recreation and tourism industry. You will explore parameters and topics for developing policies, learn how to use scenario planning and how to apply change- and project management for this purpose. The Master of Science programme will finish during this module.
- Module 4
Master’s thesis and elective
At this stage of the programme you will choose your minor (specialisation). You can opt for one of the Stenden ETFI projects, Entrepreneurship & Innovation or Managing Events Organisations. The master’s thesis is the final part of your Master’s degree in International Leisure and Tourism Studies.
Research As part of your course, you will be working closely with the European Tourism Future Institute (ETFI), Stenden’s research institute devoted to tourism. The ETFI specialises in developing, researching and applying scenario planning related to tourism and leisure.
You will discover a variety of educational methods during the programme, including seminars, workshops, lectures, presentations, group assignments and guest lectures.
Specialization Event Management
Have you chosen for the specialization Event Management? Then you will follow your lessons in separate classes, go on specific field trips, meet guest speakers from the industry, and get additional literature.
Accreditation and quality labels
The Master’s programme in International Leisure and Tourism Studies has received the following accreditation and quality labels:
- Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO): ‘triple good rating’
- International Centre of Excellence in Tourism & Hospitality Education (THE-ICE)
To view the full course programme, please feel free to download the our brochure.